ADVISORY

Certain posts in this blog contain sinful material - fictional or otherwise - and are unsuitable for minors, moralists, and those who can't wait to get to heaven.
Do not proceed if you get offended easily.

This blog also contains excessive negative material. Not suitable for positive people, and not suitable for suicidal readers as well. Use your own discretion. :)

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dollars, Ringgit and Sense

I cannot understand why people keep saying that the cost of living in KL is low.... "the lowest in region" they say.

Well, true if you earn your money in other countries and spend it here. Unless you're a visitor/traveller, you should never convert the currency. But what if you earn in ringgit and spend it here like the rest of us do? Then, it becomes a lot more expensive to live and spend here!

I did a rough random comparison of costs for supposedly "cheap" KL and "very expensive" island nation down south.

But first, income. You earn a lot more in SG than in KL. For example in the company I worked in, a fresh grad in KL earns only RM2 K /month, while in SG, the grad would get paid up to S$ 2.5 K /month. I am certain that this is the case for all jobs - you get paid more in SG than in KL.

Now what about costs and expenses? Here's a very brief and random comparison.

S$ RM

Economy Rice (3 dishes) S$3.80 RM5.50

McD Breakfast Meal S$5.50 RM8.10

Spaghetti (restaurant) S$15.00 RM22.00

Sunscreen S$12.70 RM31.90

Long Sleeve shirt ~S$50.00 ~RM80.00

Car ~ $50 K (exclude COE) ~RM85 K

Petrol price S$1.5–1.6/liter RM1.8/liter

Gym membership ~S$110 /month ~RM175/month

Club cover charge ~ S$20 /entry ~RM35/entry


As for local transport, you don't need a car in SG. My friend spends S$100 /month on transport, while I spend RM 400 /month (inclusive petrol, parking fees, car maintenance, but excluding toll).

What about housing? This is a little more complicated to compare, as it depends on location, age and size. Yes, houses in SG are apparently expensive. Flats are priced from S$250 K. But the condition of a flat is equivalent to a medium cost condominium in KL which also fetches a price of at least RM200-280 K close to the city.

It is obvious that KL is not "cheap" after all. You spend a higher percentage of your income on your daily expenses. At the end of the month, you have a lower disposable income... less to save/invest. And I heard income tax in SG is much lower also!

Did I miss something? Have I miscalculated? Do these make sense?

* ps. I bought a prepaid card for S$28 which has a credit of S$28 for international calls and S$100 for local calls. By dialling a special access number, you get extremely cheap rates. I noted that an (international) call I made back to KL .... spoke for 18 minutes but costs S$1.44 only!!! I don't normally chit-chat with friends on the phone here (expensive ma!), but I was happily chitchatting with them for hours when I was in SG!!!

11 comments:

Sam said...

I take it that perhaps it's time for the lot of us to move to SG to work? :P

savante said...

Definitely better standards in SG.

Fable Frog said...

hmmmm sister! is this an excuse to move to SG just so you can be close to Bert? HMM???

sgboy said...

I think it is a very good excuse and yes I think you should move here and not to worry in no time you will get used to the walking and I promise no fat woman will touch you ever again in taboo (You have to look at them in a certain way)

My cousins in KL been telling me the same thing about the cost of living totally agree with you.....:-)

so are you movin?

兔爸 said...

wah rm5.50 eco rice... the one nearby my hse here rm 4 only kakakakaka.

MrBunnyBan said...

You're probably right that you can have a better life in SG, in more ways than one.

TZ said...

Dude... I totally agree with you... :p KL could be one of the most expensive city in the region in term of standard of living :p

Anonymous said...

haiyo sg ppl earns 5 times higher than kl ppl after conversion, not 2.5 times as what most ppl think, that's why their fresh grads and even experienced ppl are making more "dollars" without conversion... so how can we say kl is more value for money?

deeperanddeeper said...

Let's all move! wakaka!

Though, it's not THAT easy, until we find a secured job first.

Jason said...

Bleh to Malaysia.

Buaya said...

Welcome if you are coming but dun complain of the walking... :p