ADVISORY

Certain posts in this blog contain sinful material - fictional or otherwise - and are unsuitable for minors, moralists, and those who can't wait to get to heaven.
Do not proceed if you get offended easily.

This blog also contains excessive negative material. Not suitable for positive people, and not suitable for suicidal readers as well. Use your own discretion. :)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Deeperanddeeper Went Higher and Higher

Last weekend, I was suckered into doing something I've never done before: rockclimbing! Apparently Graeme is in town with his gf, so it's the recommended thing to do by Jason. It is probably one of the most challenging and dangerous physical activity I have ever done .... in like over 15 years!

I almost wanted to back out but decided I needed the challenge and do something out of the ordinary. So off I went to Camp 5, 1 Utama. Should be tough, cos the only decent climbing I have ever done was to climb onto the back of a hot fuck.

Jason was already there, and so I signed in and paid RM36 for the shoe and harness rental. The shoes were supposed to be worn snug, and oh my, it hurt so much cos I didn't clip my toe nails! Had to take off the shoes every now and then. Argh! They should provide nail clippers at the gym!

Since I was the first to arrive, Jason got me all buckled up and ready to do my first warm-up wall climb with the auto-belay. The wall must be some 20 m high. I was advised to get used to the first few metres. After I got comfortable, I made my way up to the highest point. Surprisingly, it was easier than it looked. A few times I looked down to find a protrusion (whatever you call it) to place my foot, got dizzy and had to quickly close my eyes and look up again. Silly me! When I reached the top, I froze cos I was too scared that I will fall off and the auto-belay will not support me! It took me a while before I have the courage to remove my fingers from the bolt-on climbing holds and onto the rope. So down I came slowly with the help of the pulley system. Yay! Ben, also a first timer, arrived and joined in. I went for another climb on that wall before we proceeded to another wall with Jason as my belayer.

Well, there are many colours for the bolt-on climbing holds, which came in shapes of sea creatures. Jason encouraged me to choose only one colour to ascend, which makes it more challenging. So I decided to choose red. Phuh! It was really tough, but at least this wall is not as high as the first one. Before climbing, the climber must tell the belayer that he's "climbing". When the belayer is ready, he will reply to inform the climber to "climb on". On a few occasions I didn't step on the holds/protrusions, instead I stepped my foot on the wall surface itself (I can't remember the term used). Apparently only experienced climbers do that, or those who are desperately trying to find a foothold. I guess I was desperate in some ways! Jason would yell out "Left foot on the octopus" to guide me. I was like "whatever la". Imagine trying to look for an octopus-shaped protrusion at 15 m in the air!! After resting a while, I climbed a slightly backward reclining wall, which proved to be a bit more difficult because of the slight overhanging.

Our visitor of honour, Graeme and Camelia finally came and so it was their turn to climb. Graeme being Graeme, was impatient with the harness and knots. So funny! He was practically pulling it everywhere! Surprisingly, Camelia climbed up the wall so easily like spiderwoman. Jason explained that girls and children are better (and more skilful) climbers than men. Hmmm... no wonder it wasn't as hard for me as I thought! Keke!

My final climb was on the wall with a 1-foot overhang at the top. So susah when I reached the overhang. Totally no energy liao to be hanging on the overhang and climb over and above it. So what to do, I asked for "rope tight" or whatever you call it. Nigel, who was belaying me on this climb, tightened the rope. So I cheated and rested my weight partially. Hehe! Almost gave up and not wanting to climb around the overhang, but the people below were giving me encouragement for the last 3 metres. Finally, made it, and I insisted photos to be taken. (Unfortunately I haven't got any pics from their cameras yet)

It wasn't easy. Ben and Graeme bled as they scraped against the rough wall. I was proud I came and took the challenge. I think after this outing, I really needed to make the effort to do a lot more variety of activities, rather than just doing the same Jam/Step classes or hanging out in the gym, or staying at home. There's lots to do out there, and I've been missing them cos I was either lazy, or scared, or couldn't be bothered.

This is post #99, btw....

8 comments:

Fable Frog said...

ooooo didn't know our sister is so adventurous... try rock climbing pulak. Lucky this activity is easier for women~ :P we want picture! we want picture!

deeperanddeeper said...

yes Fay! i'm sure u'd do very in this too! come come, we go!

Fable Frog said...

errr no thanks, froggie afraid of heights... and what fay fay~ nanti i address u by your other baru tau! cis!

savante said...

Eh, but not bad leh. You made it near to the top.

BTW, did you notice the other hot and built climbers? :)

The Malaysia Traveller said...

Wah... so man!

deeperanddeeper said...

Oh yes, definitely savante.... in act the staff working there also damn hot! Saw one of them in changing room! (Drool!)

Eugene ah, ya lar... man ma!

BravingKL said...

ok for your next destination, leave the safety harness and ropes behind pls, we go Bukit Tabur for some real rock climbing wakaka.

mrs phillippe said...

Amboii...so adventurous our sista!! Macho worr...LOL well gud to know dat u are pushing urself to try out new things in life...