ADVISORY

Certain posts in this blog contain sinful material - fictional or otherwise - and are unsuitable for minors, moralists, and those who can't wait to get to heaven.
Do not proceed if you get offended easily.

This blog also contains excessive negative material. Not suitable for positive people, and not suitable for suicidal readers as well. Use your own discretion. :)

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Singledom

When I visited my parents, I rarely hang around outside of the house long enough to meet the neighbours. And when I do, I rarely keep eye contact with them, much less greet them. Most of them moved in after I left the house more than 15 years ago, and I never really knew them that well.

But on one fine evening, while I was about to get into my car, the missus next door was on her way into her house and our eyes met. After all these years, I decided to be polite, and flashed her a smile.

She seized the opportunity of a lifetime, and managed to ask me what seemed to be the world's most important question to her. A question she's been dying to ask me all these years: "Wah! Are you still not married? Time to get married lo."

Luckily for her, I was already partially inside the car and drove off without a second glance back at her. Patient... I told myself.

Last year, a friend's mother sent me an sms wishing me Kong Hei Fatt Choy: "Tot want to visit u and ask u if you got any special girl yet? Am I busybody? Tot want to introduce a fren to u. Is it ok?"

I texted her a strongly worded reply (I forgot the exact words - but it was blunt). Nonetheless she still couldn't help it but wanted to have her last word "Aunty wont disturb you again. Wish you all the best and hope when u find the right girl u remember 2 invite me ok?"

Everywhere I visited during the course of my work trips, people often ask ask me this "are you married?" question. Is marital status a critical measure of one's success and happiness?

Now, where is my knight in shining armour to save this poor unmarried soul?

8 comments:

William said...

Bring Froggie back home on your next trip.

Gratitude said...

next time, juz do the clasped palms thingy & say "Amitofu"
+Ant+

Medie007 said...

foreign ladies abundant! :P

TZ said...

Say u are not marry before they ask.

Pike-chan said...

I truly hate that too especially during CNY

Lucifer said...

i can see myself going through this in a few years' time. =(

Anonymous said...

im suffering the same :P

MrBunnyBan said...

Use my patented reply: "I just broke up recently. Don't intend to go looking for another for awhile." Fixes all problems!