ADVISORY

Certain posts in this blog contain sinful material - fictional or otherwise - and are unsuitable for minors, moralists, and those who can't wait to get to heaven.
Do not proceed if you get offended easily.

This blog also contains excessive negative material. Not suitable for positive people, and not suitable for suicidal readers as well. Use your own discretion. :)

Friday, March 14, 2008

Soap Opera

Lately I haven't been getting enough doses of drama. What to do? No more jam, so cannot drama anymore. But in the past week, there were plenty of all sorts of drama playing up in the country.... opposition parties taking over five states, the downfall of Sam V and a few others, the Silver state's MB swearing in fiasco, the MB drama in Perlis, talks about ppl demanding certain politicans to step down, the Pearl Island's CM abolishing the NEP and the recent street demonstration against the abolishment. So much to read on the internet, thousands of analyses (yes, suddenly everybody has something to say), that I totally abandoned my own blog. Where got time to blog? So many juicy developments every hour, so many articles to read. I've somewhat become addicted to the local political drama!!!

But this post is not about the current soap opera in the country. I am reminded of my favourite TV soaps in the past.

The Early Years
I remember watching episodes of Dallas on TV1 (yes, it was the only TV channel back then), following Sue Ellen's predicament until the Who Killed J.R? episode.

Catfights
Then, much later, I got totally addicted to Dynasty. I loved the catfights between Krystle and Alexis, and sometimes Sammy Jo, and Sable. Ahh... Sable is my Idol! And I absolutely loved the bitchiness of it all! So much drama, so diva!!! SRP and SPM exam also have to watch. Cannot miss! Luckily I didn't fail my exams. At that time, there were three other soapies shown on TV (yes, it was soapies era!) such as Falcon Crest, Knots Landings and The Colbys (which was a spin-off from Dynasty).

Cutey Priestley
That was about time when Beverly Hills 90210 made its debut on Malaysian TV. I got hooked again, of course, but for a different reason: Jason Priestley. Yeah, I was just crazy over him. I bought magazines and cut out his pictures and posters and hung them up in my room. Now I wonder what my family thought of it at that time.... (shy)



The Ultimate Bitch

I didn't get too addicted to 90210 though, but things got heated up in Melrose Place. As I was away staying in a residential college then, I had limited access to TV. But I would go at great lengths to ensure that I get my weekly dose of Melrose. If some one is watching something else in the common room, I would beg my friends with TV to let me watch in their rooms. Dun care. Must watch!!! Again, exam also must watch! Everytime, after each episode, I get "high". Like a drug. I love the bitch Amanda Woodward (played by Heather Locklear), and the crazy mental case Dr Kimberly Shaw (played by Marcia Cross). Then there's also Models Inc, which is a spin-off from Melrose. Melrose, by the way was a spin-off from 90210. Get it???


Nowadays, soaps are not popular anymore. I miss my soaps!!!! I need to watch them again. I need some inspiration to fight all those bitches!!!

8 comments:

mrs phillippe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrs phillippe said...

oh yes! u brought back so much memories to me too, and yea i watched dallas, dynasty & falcon crest too for a start, but seriously, i could not remember as much as u could LOL and of course, all of us were hooked to 90210 hehee, but i was more of a fan of shannen doherty (despite her bitchy character) and luke perry.

melrose place was the ultimate for me too in soap operas. i was in australia when that was aired. indeed heather locklear made the show a huge success. it was a no-miss for me as well.

nowadays there are still soaps but they're not the same anymore, they're pretty unappealing, like the bold & the beautiful etc. and nowadays we've got more teenage soaps, like one tree hill, dawson creek, the OC, falcon beach. i did follow one tree hill to a certain extent.
sigh, i missed the good old soaps too.

mrs phillippe said...

hey guess what, plans to have another spin-off for 90210 is already in place! so there u go, one more soap to look forward to...

here's the article on it:
http://tv.yahoo.com/beverly-hills-90210/show/33/news/urn:newsml:tv.reuters.com:20080313:dc

deeperanddeeper said...

mmm.... haiye, sure kena ban one la. haha. wah, how come 90210 got so many spin-off one ah....

mrs phillippe said...

that's bcuz it's oen of the most successful teen soap u see...and melrose was such a success, so they're hoping to repeat this success, better make sure they get someone as good as heather locklear hehee...

Fable Frog said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE 90210!! well, of all the soaps you wrote about, that is the only one i watch! hehe

savante said...

Wait! Have you tried Gossip girl?

deeperanddeeper said...

Gossip girl!! Coming to 8TV!!!