ADVISORY

Certain posts in this blog contain sinful material - fictional or otherwise - and are unsuitable for minors, moralists, and those who can't wait to get to heaven.
Do not proceed if you get offended easily.

This blog also contains excessive negative material. Not suitable for positive people, and not suitable for suicidal readers as well. Use your own discretion. :)

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Working Smart

Sometimes it's easy to forget you're not who you think you are, especially when you're too engrossed in something you do too routinely without thinking about it much. It just take one comment to put you back in your proper place. Which is not a bad thing, there is always something good about everything.

I've always thought of myself as the hardworking dedicated worker, regardless of how unwilling am I to stay back to work the extra hours. Let's say despite my complaints about missing gym, friends and home, sometimes I do go the extra mile when it comes to work. Yes, I still have hope... to better myself, to contribute to the company and all that shit. I'm not that kind of lost soul.

So, today I suggested to Miss V (my 2nd boss) that we should backup a copy of all important documents and take them with us to Indonesia (we're gonna be there for 2 weeks!) "just in case" we needed templates or references for proposals or reports for other assignments that are likely to come up. But she commented that I shouldn't copy them away as these documents are company property. When I noted that was what the Ms. S (big boss) does too, she reminded me that that's because Ms. S is the boss.

But I'd like to note the following:

1) Bosses work for the company. They do not own the company. But it seems here that boss <=> company.

2) I'm copying the documents into the company's computer notebook, not mine... for work and convenience, not for leisure or suka-suka. I have foresight and dedication, not an indifferent attitude.

3) The bosses are always harping on finding ways to restrict access and copying of documents out of office server. But here's the joke. We are a small team, with only 6 people. The admin staff are not interested to copy technical reports. Also, I've never heard of big companies with hundreds of staff which are so possessive of their propriety rights to disallow copying (unless you've tendered your resignation). Plus, it's not that our reports fall under the Officials Secrets Act. It shows that the bosses don't even trust their small team. There is no feeling of inclusiveness in the team. Again, the message is this: boss <=> company. All others = temporary workers who are not to be trusted.

At first, I was upset with this kind of treatment and double standards being dished out at us. But then, I soon realized this: I now have an excuse not to work more than I have to. Yay!

Why do I need to work extra hard for other people when I'm not earning extra income for the extra work? Why so stupid? I should instead reduce my dedication to the company (ie. work smartly), focus on improving my skills (and perhaps spend more free time blogging and gymming!), and then move on when the time comes. After all, my efforts and commitment are clearly not appreciated anyway. And meanwhile, I can still copy anything I want without telling anyone.

Yes, there're always two sides of a coin. Sometimes we just needed to step out a little moment and make it work to your benefit. When it comes to work, I knew exactly what I must do from now on.

5 comments:

Jason said...

That's so true. But anyway, sometimes it's just a waste of time for us to go extra for the company.. they won't understand our motive (but kena tikam from the back!)

NotHamsap said...

only work extra when your efforts are appreciated? people usually just take everything for granted which is bad! by the way, you deserve better~

Legolas said...

Never . ever . die . for . the . company . It's . not . worth . it .

Fable Frog said...

in a way, your new mindset is good~ :D most companies will only appreciates us when we tender our resignation letter~ which is sad~ why only appreciates us when our heart's not in it anymore?

Vincent said...

Yes, I am agree that your boss exaggerated the company property thing. It's stupid. But, don't feel too demoralized over this as well. Read more Dilbert.. :)