Today is Madonna's birthday. Her 50th! And also, this year marks her 25th year as a performing artiste.
When I was little, I hardly listened to music, and it was my chi muis in school who introduced Madonna's music to me in 1990. At that time, Justify My Love was just released, and I remembered all three of us gay boys were actually singing the song out loud (not too loud la, but loud enough for the boys sitting in the next 3 chairs away to hear it) while waiting for our teacher to come into the class. Over betul! Tak tau malu singing such a controversial song in class!
At that time, I was beginning to love her music, her creative and sometimes controversial videos, her antics, her strength... yes, she's our idol and source of inspiration. There's always something different, provocative and creative everytime she dishes out new music or videos. And of course, she simply won me over in her legendary Blond Ambition tour, which I got to watch on a taped laser disc version her Japan set.
Here are selected performances from Youtube:
(1) Opening: Express Yourself
(2) Like A Virgin
With a Middle Eastern sound. She was almost arrested in Canada for performing this piece. Watch her masturbate towards the end of the song!
(3) Vogue
Watch her perform the original Vogue choreography in its entirety! Amazing!!
(4) Live to Tell/Oh Father
Did she just give the Father a wank?
(5) Material Girl
A hilarious housewifey take on the song.
Well, there have been many articles recently comparing her with Michael Jackson (who also turns 50 this month!).... about who is on top, and comparing their fortunes at this point in time.
Read them here and here.
I guess while MJ is probably seen as the most talented musician and performer in history, there's no doubt, who's the smarter one and the one in control of her destiny. Despite her "trashy/sex" image she once portrayed, Madonna is still the one to set the best example among the music artistes. In her entire career, she's never done drugs (remember Whitney and just about everybody else), no emotional breakdown (remember Mariah?), no weird behaviours (Britney, Amy Winehouse, Jacko), no traffic offences like drink driving ... and she;'s laughing away to the bank. Now who says Madonna is a bad influence???
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Like you I was blown away by her Blond Ambition tour. She is so in control even her body no weight gain in 25 years in fact I think it is getting better with age.....I don't think KFC is on her menu EVER!
Long live the queen.
Happy Birthday Maddie!!! Have to agree with you she has set her moves very cleverly in her career. Without great vocals, she creatively managed to put herself apart from the rest, made it to the top, and manage to stay there without falling down like those artists you mentioned.
Oh, now that you mentioned it, I think it's true... she really plan her career nicely.
My favourite of her songs is Don't Tell Me, and I love that MV with hot cowboys.
Doubt she hasn't tried all that :) But I think she's smart enough to control her impulses.
she's still hot! ahahaha
OMG~ will you update~ it's been blonde for more than 2 weeks liao!
Yerr...
Post a Comment