Did you tell anyone you came for this screening? Do you have anyone that you can rely on for support if indeed the results indicate that you are positive?
These were the questions that made me pause to think …. to search for answers …. answers that I don’t have ….
Boy, these are tough tough questions.
Frankly, life has thus far been fairly kind to me. So I wouldn’t know how I would react, or how to deal with it if it came to be known that I am HIV+. It is impossible to know how we would really react until we are put into that position. What would I do if ….?
I hadn’t planned to tell anyone about my plans to go for HIV screening. But I had casually told Sindy when she pinged me at MSN that afternoon.
But who could I rely on for support in such matters?
How can you tell if that person is ready or able to give you the support that you really need?
You are essentially offloading a small portion of the crisis to them. Under normal circumstances, some people can be your best of friends, but they may not want to be burdened by the knowledge that you are HIV+. With knowledge, comes responsibility. While the counsellor was waiting for my response, I ran through, in my mind, the names of people that I thought perhaps could lend some support... but I wasn't certain.
*************
I didn’t think through all these important questions thoroughly before I went for the test. Perhaps I thought I will be strong enough to deal it alone. But am I really?
I guess I have to have the answers ready for my next round of testing. But how do I get the answers?


4 comments:
Since I've already checked that you're okay, I can say this...
I love these questions! These questions are very well prepared. They're an incredibly tactful way for preparing people for the worst. I'm quite pleased that Malaysian screening services have some standards... whose screening services did you use?
YOu can rely on us~ anyway, most people with HIV live a normal life really~ With medication, they can do what everyone else do. Other patients of other illnesses have their daily medications too and no one seems to treat them differently~ It's time we all get educated about AIDS & HIV.
Talk to us. We've all had experience with people living with HIV. These are problems that we all face as a community. I wouldn't say I'd be great but hey, talk with your friends.
i've watched a documentary film about people who got infected with HIV. It was amazing that those people are able to live a normal life. I think the first step is to accept and thn ask for assistance. The most important is love and support from family and friends.
Post a Comment